Power System Protection Engineer (Relocation Offered)
Company: Black Hills Energy
Posted on: August 23, 2019
Job SpecificationsIn the important role of the System Protection
Engineer you will design substation protection systems and relay
settings used in the control and operation of utility transmission
and distribution facilities. You will analyze the performance of
protective relay operations to ensure reliability and proper
coordination of the overall electric system. You will create
equipment specifications and standards for substation protection,
automation, and communications equipment and oversee the
installation and maintenance of these systems.SALARY RANGE: $67,100
- $104,270 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager of Substation & Protection
EngineeringLOCATION: Rapid City, South Dakota: You'll find that it
is the ideal community to live, work and do business in. With
hiking trails, the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore and Badlands
National Park in your backyard, there are endless opportunities to
- Rapid City - Hidden Gem of the West:
- Rapid City Chamber of Commerce:
- A Comprehensive Relocation Plan is offered for this position!
Our benefits include but are not limited to: home finding trip,
transportation of household goods, temporary housing expenses,
destination apartment search assistance, paid time off to move,
transition and spousal career support, home finder and purchase
assistance, relocation adjustment allowance, destination new
purchase closing costs. Depending on individual circumstances, our
benefit may also include trips home during temporary housing,
renter's lease cancellation assistance, or home marketing and sale
closing cost assistance and/or purchase closing cost assistance.
Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may
vary based on position.ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Engineer and design protective relay settings and systems.
- Create detailed control schematics, wiring diagrams, and
protection logic drawings.
- Conduct short circuit analysis, load flow, and fault studies to
ensure the reliable and secure operation of protective
- Investigate and analyze transmission system disturbances and
relay operations to determine root cause and recommend system
- Develop and coordinate relay settings database, test standards,
and maintenance procedures.
- Coordinate SCADA database implementation and operation of field
- Direct maintenance personnel in the installation, verification,
and upgrade of substation protection, communication and control
- Support system operations personnel during outages and
emergencies with analysis of digital fault data and relay sequence
of operations review.ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist and support the other engineering and maintenance
activities within the department.
- Provide project management and administration activities for
- Create and document regulatory compliance (NERC) requirements
- Support safety, diversity, and social responsibility goals of
the department, business unit, and corporation.
- Contribute to the creation of department budgets and financial
- Perform work on or in close proximity to energized electrical
- Perform other special work assignments as
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering required.
- Power Systems emphasis preferred.
- Three or more years of experience in the design and
implementation of electric utility protection systems, substation
design, or communications systems is required.
- Professional Engineer (PE) registration or the ability to
become registered is preferred.KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES:
- Understanding of protective relay principals and their
applications to three phase power systems.
- Experience with short circuit analysis software (ASPEN, CAPE,
- Strong verbal and written communications skills and the ability
to interact in a team environment.
- Ability to maintain proficiency with new systems and software
as technology evolves.
- Strong ability to document and track projects and engineering
- Organizational skills and the ability to plan/schedule
priorities and work plans for others.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft
Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook), and trade related
software.MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:The
mental and physical demands described here are representative of
those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions.Mental Requirements: Must be able to routinely
perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with
moderate noise level, and occasionally outdoors in sometimes
inclement weather. Worker may be subject to hazards including
variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving
mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working in
places of height, or close quarters.While performing the duties of
this job, the employee is continuously (67% or more) required to:
use fingers and hands, communicate, and have close visual acuity.
Employee is frequently (34-66%) required to: reach, push/pull,
ascend/descend stairs, position self to access lower items, and
move about the office. Employee must be able to operate routine
office equipment including computers and similar equipment. Must be
able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per
day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of
regular, reliable, and timely attendance.Specific lifting abilities
required by this job include: Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds
of force occasionally, and/or up to 25 pounds of force frequently,
and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.Work
environment: Must be able to routinely perform work indoors in
climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level, and
occasionally outdoors in sometimes inclement weather. Worker may be
subject to hazards including variety of physical conditions, such
as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles,
electrical current, working in places of height, or close quarters.
Must be capable of up to 15% travel (e.g. 3.5 days/month) by
automobile (as driver and passenger), commercial airlines, rental
vehicles and public transportation and be able to lodge in public
facilities. Travel will be necessary to conduct the duties of this
job, and the employee must have the ability to drive and have
proper licensing. About our Company: We are a customer focused,
growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities.
Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to
new ideas and possibilities. We have a mission to improve life with
energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Based in
Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2800 employees and serve 1.2
million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight
states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa,
Kansas, and Arkansas).Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package:
annual incentive program, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9%
company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time
off, additional Veteran PTO, military leave differential pay, paid
holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and
long term disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, health
and wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision
insurance.Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug
screen and background check. This description is not intended to be
an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements
for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All
applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.We are an
Keywords: Black Hills Energy, Savannah , Power System Protection Engineer (Relocation Offered), Other , Charleston, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!