Senior Water & Sewer Maintenance Mechanic
Company: Government jobs
Posted on: January 24, 2023
This position provides skilled work of more than average difficulty
in the installation, maintenance and repair mechanical equipment
used in the water and wastewater treatment plants. Essential Job
- Regularly inspects all mechanical equipment, evaluates
performance and makes recommendations to the assigned supervisor as
to maintenance and repair requirements.
- Installs, services, maintains and repairs pumps, motors,
chlorinators, and other machinery and equipment.
- Respond to and repair sewer backups.
- Maintains, diagnose problems, and correct problems at various
lift stations. Use crane truck to pull pumps and correct problem
- Repairs manhole that have been knocked off by vehicles. Locates
and raises manholes that have been buried over a period or covered
up by contractors.
- Operates and cares for power tools in maintaining, fabricating,
and repairing parts of equipment; operates large mobile equipment
such as a boom truck, a forklift, a hoist or a crane, when
- Modifies existing equipment as needed to improve plant
operations; installs new pumps and equipment.
- Designs handrails, foot bridges, and piping systems.
- Orders parts and supplies.
- Operates heavy equipment.
- Repairs hydraulic and pneumatic systems.
- Maintains diesel generators.
- Inspects and troubleshoots telephone lines and SCADA
- Changes chlorine containers weekly; performs specialized
maintenance and repairs on liquid chlorine systems, including
chlorinators, evaporators, and vacuum regulators.
- Cleans chemical solution tanks and piping.
- Performs maintenance and repairs on Trac-Vac system; changes
boots, fittings, hoses, and control valves.
- Performs specialized welding, burning, cutting, and
- Changes out gas bottles and supplies meter stations with
- Performs general and specialized maintenance and repairs on
sludge de-watering facility including centrifuge, polymer pump, and
- May direct the work of all crew members, including training,
guidance, and counseling, to ensure their safety and welfare in the
performance of their duties.
- Completes and submits reports of work activities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned. Minimum
High School Diploma or GED equivalent with four (4) years of
experience in mechanical maintenance and repair of water/wastewater
treatment plants, heavy-duty pumping and auxiliary power equipment;
or an equivalent combination of education, training and
Must possess and maintain a valid state class C driver's license
with an acceptable driving history.
Background investigation, including supervised drug screen, post
offer/pre-employment medical screen; and verification of education,
certifications, and licenses required prior to employment.
- Knowledge of city and department policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of wastewater treatment plant equipment, operations,
- Knowledge of maintenance techniques for a variety of mechanical
and electrical systems.
- Skill in welding and fabricating parts.
- Skill in operating light and heavy equipment.
- Skill in using hand, hydraulic, and pneumatic tools.
- Skill in reading blueprints.
- Skill in repairing and maintaining a variety of pumps and
- Skill in oral and written communication.
CITY OF SAVANNAH EMPLOYEE BENEFITS
Overview of Benefits
Paid Sick Leave
Defined Benefit Retirement Pension Plan
Protective Services Retirement Plan (select positions)
Deferred Compensation Retirement Plan
PPO Medical Insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts
Health & Wellness Incentives
Long Term Disability
Excellence and Service Recognition
Employee Development and In-Service Training
Educational Assistance Program
Uniform Allowance (select positions)
Employee Assistance Program
Discounts and Memberships
Pretax Parking Deductions
Employer Assisted Home Purchase Program
Domestic Partnership Benefits
PPO Medical Plus Plan
PPO Medical Basic Plan
Dental Plus Plan
Dental Basic Plan
Vision Service Plan
Basic Life and ADD
Supplemental Life Employee
Supplemental Life Spouse
Supplemental Life Child
Benefits costs are paid by the City of Savannah, by the employee or
shared by both the City and the employee.
01 Do you have a valid Driver's License with an acceptable driving
02 Do you have a High School Diploma or GED plus 4 years
maintenance and repair of water/wastewater treatment plants,
heavy-duty pumping and auxiliary power equipment or an equivalent
combination of education, training and experience.
03 Please indicate any certifications that your currently hold
related to this position.
04 Please describe your experience directing the work of all crew
members, including training, guidance, and counseling, to ensure
their safety and welfare in the performance of their duties.
* Required Question
Keywords: Government jobs, Savannah , Senior Water & Sewer Maintenance Mechanic, Professions , Savannah, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!