Safety Specialist - Manufacturing
Posted on: January 12, 2019
Safety Technician Overview: TICO is a worldwide designer, manufacturer, and marketer of Terminal Tractors with more than 5000 vehicles in operation around the world. Manufacturing Facility in Ridgeland, SC. TICO is the industry leader in product innovations, new technologies, and exceeding customer expectations. Our vision is to have the most competent workforce available. We are proud to provide excellence in our products and invite you to join our team. Scope: Must have strong communication skills and the willingness to engage employees in safety conversations daily. The Safety Specialist is responsible for engaging employees, listening to their concerns, and following up with them. Actively promotes the safety culture in all work activities and investigates all accidents and near misses to determine root cause and solution. Responsible for all assigned aspects of the environmental, health, and safety program for the TICO Manufacturing location, including but not limited to: Essential Functions:
- Work with manufacturing plant management and safety team to achieve desired safety goals.
- Conduct regular walk through inspections of work areas and equipment to ensure that TICOs safety standards and government regulations are followed.
- Identify, document, design, and implement workplace processes and procedures that help protect workers from hazardous work conditions. Follow through to insure changes have been made with jobsite safety audits.
- Prepare, maintain, track, and monitor all incident and investigation reports. Prepare supporting documentation of all safety inspections, citing dangerous areas/procedures and recommend corrective procedures.
- Ensure adequate safety supplies are maintained, purchased, and available for all areas as needed and identify areas of significant interest; establish inspection frequency.
- Rely on instructions and established guidelines to perform the functions of the job, while being able to identify and recommend enhancements to TICO Manufacturings safety program and ensure policies and procedures are OSHA compliant.
- Develop and perform safety training, lead safety meetings, and conduct safety orientation for new employees in a manner that creates employee involvement and increases safety awareness and attitude.
- Compile data, photographs, and prepare all pertinent forms and reports per TICO Manufacturings safety program procedures and government regulations associated with accidents.
- Work with and assist Team Leads and Managers in safety processes as it relates to the jobsite pre-task/JHA planning steps
- Provide support to the manufacturing plant in safety equipment inspections, recertification, and calibrations of equipment.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement activities within the departments. Implementation of Lean foundational blocks of Identification of Waste, 5S, Standard Work, and Visual Management. Participates in Kaizen Events and takes on roles of subject matter expert where appropriate. Participates in value stream map creation and goal setting for the department product lines.
- Perform other safety duties as directed by site management. Position Expectations:
- SAFETY: Follow TICO General Health & Safety Rules, ensure safe operating conditions within area of responsibility, and notify coworkers and supervisors of hazardous acts and conditions. Proper use of PPE; use only defect-free equipment. Promote safety in department. Use proper lifting techniques and overhead hoist when needed. Maintain clean and safe working environment in line with 5-S Philosophy. Participate in hazardous communication training and safety meetings.
- QUALITY: Responsible for the quality of work. This requires defect-free work and understanding of the requirements of the companys quality system as it pertains to job duties and responsibilities. Must be able to check work to ensure conformance to process control instructions, specifications, and quality standards. Identify and segregate non-conforming product. Identify the need for and assist in initiating and implementing corrective and preventive actions when appropriate.
- FLEXIBILITY: Able and willing to work in other areas as needed. Must be flexible in taking lunch and breaks when workflow requires. Willing to work additional hours as necessary.
- INITIATIVE: Actively participate in continuous improvement of products and processes to better serve customers and improve the overall profitability of TICO. Actively seek out work in other areas when current assignment is complete. Make suggestions for improving product safety, quality, deliver, cost, processes and company profitability.
- TEAMWORK: Positive working attitude toward other employees; be a team player. Work with others constructively and abide by company policies and procedures. Working together as a team for continuous improvement is vital to ensure the future of TICO and its employees. Teamwork will be required to be effective in daily production assignments as well as special improvement projects.
- CAREER DEVELOPMENT: Attend and participate in a variety of meetings, training programs, and task force groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems, and maintain specific level of knowledge pertaining to changes to equipment or process, new developments, requirements, procedures, and policies.
- LEADERSHIP: Lead the team, provide innovative thought leadership on strategies to grow market share, increase profitability, and meet long-term business goals.
- ACTION-ORIENTED: Enjoy working hard; is action-oriented and energetic; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seize more opportunities than others.
- CONFLICT MANAGEMENT: Step up to conflicts, seeing them as opportunities; read situations quickly; good at focused listening; can hammer out tough agreements and settle disputes equitably; can find common ground and get cooperation.
- DEALING WITH AMBIGUITY: Can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture; isnt upset when things are up in the air; doesnt have to finish things before moving on; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
- DRIVE FOR RESULTS: Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results. Physical Requirements:
- Lift/Push/Pull- Exerting up to 40 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Climbing- Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms.
- Stooping- Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist.
- Kneeling- Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on knee or knees.
- Crouching/Crawling/Reaching - Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine. Moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet. Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Standing- Particularly for sustained periods of time.
- Walking- Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another.
- The worker is required to have visual acuity to perform an activity such as: operating machines such as lathes, drill presses, power saws and mills where the seeing job is at or within arms reach; performing mechanical tasks of a non-repetitive nature such as carpenters, technicians, service people, plumbers, painters, mechanics, etc. The worker is required to have visual acuity to operate motor vehicles or heavy equipment.
- The worker is subject to hazards: Includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals. Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelors Degree in an EHS specialty (safety/environmental/industrial engineer) field with minimum 3 years relevant experience working in manufacturing environment.
- Ability to gain thorough knowledge of TICO Manufacturings processes and procedures.
- Strong communication and leadership skills; with the ability to engage a diverse workforce in safety conversations.
- Ability to work independently and manage workload effectively; plan, coordinate, organize, prioritize, and handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to commit to flexible schedule and prompt arrival.
- Ability to use good judgement to make decisions and maintain confidentiality
- Working knowledge of OSHA regulations
- Thorough understanding and application of lean principles and continuous improvement methodologies We offer a comprehensive benefits package to our employees and their families that includes health, dental, vision, disability and life insurance. 401K, vacation and paid holidays. TICO is a Drug-Free Workplace. To learn more about TICO, visit our website at . Join us today!
Keywords: TICO, Savannah , Safety Specialist - Manufacturing, Professions , Savannah, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!